LEED Program History at UF
Green building movement started at UF in 1990. Green initiatives were underway with a grassroots movement of students and faculties at School of Building Construction at the College of Design Construction & Planning with building the first LEED Gold Certified building in the state of Florida under LEED v 1.0 pilot to house School of Building Construction and under the project management of University Facilities Planning & Construction Division.
- In 2001, the university adopted LEED criteria for design and construction of all new construction and major renovation projects to pave the way to deliver high performance and sustainable buildings.
- In 2003, first LEED accredited professional on staff, first on University of Florida campus, and one of the first five in the state of Florida.
- In 2004, in-house LEED administration. Bahar Armaghani, LEED Accredited Professional took on the responsibility of LEED administration and some LEED credit calculations for all UF projects.
- In 2005, determined that LEED certification can be obtained with no additional hard cost, and there was a need to take the next step.
- In January 2006, UF renewed its commitment to sustainable construction and delivering greener buildings by raising the bar and making minimum LEED certification level for all its new construction and major renovation to be SILVER.
- In 2007, enrolled in LEED-EB Portfolio Pilot program
- In 2009, UF raised the minimum LEED certification level of all new construction and major renovation to GOLD.
- According to 2009 data from the U.S. Green Building Council, the University of Florida is #1 campus for LEED project registrations.
- Utilizing UF High Performance Design Standard Principles, LEED platinum attainable in 2013.
UF Facilities Planning & Construction is the first in the state of Florida to require a LEED accredited professional on staff to ensure LEED criteria incorporated in design and construction on all University major and minor projects. Our LEED accredited professional works with the project design teams to obtain the highest level of LEED certification for all projects.